For unto us a CHILD IS BORN, Unto us a SON IS GIVEN (Isaiah 9:6 NKJ)
- The whole theology of Christmas hinges upon that one scripture – God Became Human
- Unto us a child is born– required a 9 month process for Mary to carry a child, aka God. Can you imagine the responsibility she must have felt?
- Unto us a Son is given – Required a 4000 year process from Genesis to the birth of Jesus
- We serve a God of the “suddenlies” but we also serve a God of process.
- Today we will go through the story of Christmas from Mary’s perspective. The process that God chose for her to bring about The promise
- My hope is that you would be able to see, to reflect on God’s process in your own personal life. The process is part of His plan for your life!
OPENING SCRIPTURE: Luke 1:26-38
26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named NAZARETH, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the HOUSE OF DAVID. The VIRGIN’s name was Mary. 28 And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”
29 But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. (Luke 1:26-29 NKJ)
Why did God choose Mary?
God is a God of Process and He is bound by His Word.
- Because Mary was from Nazareth, Jesus came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth. Fulfilling what was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarene.” (Matthew 2:23 NKJ)
- Mary was of the right lineage. Luke chapter 3 traces Mary’s lineage all the way to King David. That would qualify her son to bear the title Son of David.
There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, And a Branch shall grow out of his roots. (Isaiah 11:1)
- I want to catch the words Rod and Branch. They are capitalized here for a reason. They symbolize authority and righteousness. The only kind of authority and righteousness that can come from God Himself. They represent Jesus! In verse 2 it says:
The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord
Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. (Isaiah 7:14)
- In order to fulfill that prophecy, it was critical that the mother of the Messiah to be a virgin.
- That was the only way for the incorruptible seed of Holy Spirit to produce a sinless man.
Mary’s Engagement To Joseph
- Mary was engaged to Joseph whose heritage would require him to visit
“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me THE ONE to be RULER in Israel, WHOSE GOINGS FORTH ARE FROM OF OLD, FROM EVERLASTING.” (Micah 5:2 NKJ)
STATEMENT: My point here is simple- God is a God of process. He always attaches His Promise to The Process.
- There are no accidents with God.
30 Then the angel said to her, “DO NOT BE AFRAID, MARY, FOR YOU HAVE FOUND FAVOR WITH GOD”. (Luke 1:30 NKJ)
STATEMENT: You see favor or promotion does not come without process
- The process always involves faithfulness and obedience
- That’s where many of us fail! We want the favor, the promotion, but we are not willing to go through the process.
- 2020 is turning out to be a process, even for the church! A process of sifting and testing.
- But our faith must remain stronger!
31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.” (Luke 1:30-33 NKJ)
34 Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?” (Luke 1:34 NKJ)
- In Judaism, a marriage is a 2-phase process. The 1st phase was the engagement. It would be a 12 month process. During this process, the fidelity of couple would tested. A time for preparation. The 2nd phase was the actual wedding day.
- Tests produces answers. Without tests the preparation is incomplete
- Sometimes the very answer we’ve been looking for will come as a result of a test
- So don’t quit when you are being tested!
35 And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren. 37 For with God nothing will be impossible.”
38 Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.
What process have God chosen for you to deliver His promise? The process is part of His plan for your life!
10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared BEFOREHAND that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10 NKJ)
- God’s plan for your life can be described just like this Oreo cookie
- It has a top layer, a bottom layer and sandwiched in the middle is the crème. How many of you will scrap off the crème and eat just the cookies? How many of you will eat just crème? How many of you would love a mega stuffed Oreo?
Now what does an Oreo have to do with God’s plan for your life? Quite a lot actually!
- The top layer is called is called His dream. God’s dream or His calling for your life. Like some are called to be doctors, carpenters, engineers, teachers, and even pastors. Unfortunately many of us stop here with the dream.
- The bottom layer is called His destiny. God’s destiny or His purpose for your life. The bottom layer is you fulfilling the purpose of being a doctor, a teacher, a mom, etc
Sandwich in the middle is the process
- The process is the glue that keeps the dream connected to the destiny
- Many are stuck in the dream and do not step into the destiny because they do not want to go through the process.
- It is the process that brings the promise!
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this message?