A Life of Stewardship- The Test (10/21/2018)
November 2, 2018
Stewardship is always followed by a TEST!
Matthew 25:14-30 – the Parable of the 3 Servants or The Parable of the Talents
- Talent here is a measure of weight in silver (1 talent= $1000)
- Parable is not about salvation but our earthly calling, our assignment in this season of life.
1st TEST: Different Capacities-Same Opportunity
And to one he gave five talents ($5000), to another two ($2000), and to another one ($1000), TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS OWN ABILITY (CAPACITY); and immediately he went on a journey. (Vv 15)
Test 1: Do you believe God has given you the same opportunity to succeed whether you have $1000, $2000 or $5000?
- Ability : Capacity to handle an assignment
- Talents: Resources that belong to God given to us to complete the assignment
- We all have different capacity and the resources are dependent upon that capacity
- What’s equal with everyone else is: THE OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCEED
2nd Test: Faithfulness
Then he who had received the five talents ($5000) WENT AND TRADED WITH THEM, and made another five talents. And likewise he who had received two ($2000) (WENT RIGHT TO WORK) gained two more also. But he who had received one ($1000) went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money (HE HID THE MONEY FOR SAFEKEEPING) (vv 16-18)
Test 2: How faithful are you with what you’ve been given?
- The AMOUNTS were DIFFERENT, but the EXPECTATION to multiply was exactly the SAME
- “Do business (Occupy) until I come” (Luke 19:13)
3rd TEST: Perception of God
“Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘LORD, I KNEW YOU TO BE A HARD MAN, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I WAS AFRAID, and went and HID YOUR TALENT in the ground. Look, THERE YOU HAVE WHAT IS YOURS.’ (vv24-25)
Test: How do you see God: A loving Father or Hard Master
- The Moral of the Parable: Our Stewardship of what God has given to us: Time, talents, family, children, career, finances, health, etc will always be tested. Without HEART we cannot pass the TEST of Stewardship
What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this message?
Leave a Reply