A SEAT AT THE TABLE
- Having a seat at the table: You are valuable! Important! Included
- What is a seat at the table? A seat is not a piece of furniture.
A SEAT IS A SPIRITUAL POSITION IN CHRIST THAT YOU NEED TO OCCUPY
- It’s a role and function right here in the house of God at the banquet table that the master wants you to occupy
- However, an unoccupied (empty) seat at the table: A life gone too soon. A potential never achieved. A calling never fulfilled. A destiny never reached.
- There’s another sad thing about an empty seat- A seat reserved by the master for someone who’s name is on that seat, but that person has decided not to show up
OPENING SCRIPTURE: LUKE 14:15-23 (The Parable of The Great Supper)
“And behold, there was a certain man before Him who had dropsy. 3 And Jesus, answering, spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?” 4 But they kept silent. And He took him and healed him, and let him go”
- I don’t believe the man was invited to the banquet, probably followed Jesus. Jesus saw this as an opportunity to teach them and us something. (verse 16)
“A certain man gave a great supper and invited many, 17 and sent his servant at supper time to say to those who were INVITED, ‘COME, FOR ALL THINGS ARE NOW READY.’ “But they all with one accord began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it. I ask you to have me excused. (POSSESSION) ’ 19 And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test them. I ask you to have me excused. (BUSINESS)’ 20 Still another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. (FAMILY)
- Now they were all invited. They all responded to the invitation. They had a reserved seat at the table. But when it came time to eat they had excuses for not occupying those seats.
21 So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then THE MASTER OF THE HOUSE, being angry, said to his servant, ‘GO OUT QUICKLY INTO THE STREETS AND LANES OF THE CITY, AND BRING IN HERE THE POOR AND THE MAIMED AND THE LAME AND THE BLIND.’
- The master said: Now go get those who did not even get an invitation: The lame, The Crippled, The poor. Back in the OT those were not accepted in the temple.
22 And the servant said, ‘Master, it is done as you commanded, AND STILL THERE IS ROOM.’ ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, THAT MY HOUSE MAY BE FILLED.
- The master is not satisfied until all seats in the house are filled
THERE’S A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAVING A SEAT AT THE TABLE AND OCCUPYING A SEAT AT THE TABLE
- Having a seat at the table simply means this- you have been invited- You have your name on that seat
- Occupying the seat means- “Master I am ready to eat from your table”
- OCCUPY YOUR SEAT (Luke 19:13- Occupy till I come)
- A SEAT IS A SPIRITUAL POSITION IN CHRIST THAT YOU NEED TO OCCUPY
- It’s a role and function right here in the house of God
- Take ownership of that seat- Make it your own although- You are important. You are called. You are invited.
- Only from that seat can you hear the voice of the master
- Only from that seat can you be fed.
- Only from that seat can you accomplish the task of the master
- MAKE ROOM FOR SOMEONE ELSE (Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit – Matthew 28:19)
- There’s always someone else that needs to hear this. Invite someone to church!
- Let them know this: The Master has a seat at the table for them!
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this message?