OPENING SCRITURE: Joshua 5:13-15
Breakthrough from a position of surrender
Breakthrough = Prayer + Obedience
• Both prayer and obedience are effective when we come to the place of surrender.
“Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come.
Your will be done.” (Matthew 6: 10 NKJ)
Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you. (Psalm 25:4,5 NLT)
The struggle for most of us is not in the prayer. The struggle is in obedience.
What do we when His answer is not what we want to hear?
#1: It is hard to hear the voice of God when we have already decided what we want Him to say.
#2: It is hard to follow the steps God has ordained for us when we have already decided on our destination.
What is this place of surrender?
• The place of surrender, is the place where you say: “I am not in charge!”
• Breakthrough can only come when God is in charge.
And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or for our adversaries?” (Joshua 5:13 NKJ)
• Here’s what Joshua asked God: “Are you for us or for our adversaries?” in other words “Are you our side or on their sides? Which side are you on?
• We don’t get very far when we ask God to choose sides.
President Lincoln in the heat of the American Civil War: “My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.”
• The only way we can get on God’s side is to surrender.
So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant?”
• That’s how we surrender: We ask God what He is saying. We ask God what He is thinking.
My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. 9 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9 NLT)
‘Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’ (Jeremiah 33:3 NKJ)
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. (Psalm 32:8 NKJ)
• God is the only way for breakthrough. I am that way!
• Breakthrough comes from a position of surrender.
Then the Commander of the Lord’s army said to Joshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy.” And Joshua did so. (Joshua 5:14-15 NKJ)
• That place is the place of breakthrough!
What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this message?