“Forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us” (Matthew 6:12 NLT)
“If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins. (Matthew 6:14-15 NLT)
- Forgiveness is a skill that we are not naturally born with. It must be taught. It must be learned.
- Jesus spent quite a big part of his ministry on earth teaching us about forgiveness.
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. (Matthew 18:21 NKJ)
- Don’t put a cap on forgiveness!
- Just like grace, forgiveness should be a non-stop flow.
The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant (Matthew 18:23-34)
- Here’s what Jesus was saying: Don’t put a price on forgiveness!
- Actually, there is price paid for forgiveness. But we don’t get to set that price. Jesus did. It’s the price of His blood!
- Every time we set a price on forgiveness, we devalue the blood of Jesus!
- Every time we set a price on forgiveness, we become that wicked servant in the parable.
Jesus taught us in the Lord’s prayer: “forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us” (Matthew 6:12 NLT)
- Jesus knew that forgiveness can be hard. Jesus knew that we would struggle with forgiveness.
- Forgiveness is a skill that we are not naturally born with.
- True forgiveness is a skill you learn when you are born again.
- That’s why He gave us His Spirit. He knew we would need help.
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another HELPER, that He may abide with you forever (John 14:16 NKJ)
- Only with the help of the Holy Spirit, can we confront the hurt!
- Only with the help of the Holy Spirit, can we turn that hurt over to God!
- Only with the help of the Holy Spirit can we release that person!
- Only with the help of the Holy Spirit can we be free!
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this message?