OPENING SCRIPTURE: Those who are PLANTED in the house of the Lord Shall flourish in the courts of our God. 14 They shall still bear fruit in old age; They shall be fresh and flourishing. (Psalm 92:13-14 NKJ)
- PLANTED NOT BURIED!
- The soil here is the church, the house of the Lord
- The soil or the church itself is not perfect. The church is you and me, we are the church!
- Why would God want us to be planted in a soil that is not perfect? He wants you to trust HIM more than the soil.
“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord.
8 For he shall be like a tree PLANTED by the waters, Which spreads out its ROOTS by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its LEAF will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, NOR WILL CEASE FROM YIELDING FRUIT. (Jeremiah 17:7-8 NKJ)
- When you put your trust in the Lord and not in the soil you will be like a tree PLANTED NOT BURIED!
- This passage here is referring to a believer as a tree planted by the living waters.
POINT#1 – ROOTS – “Which spreads out its ROOTS by the river”
- Roots are not the prettiest thing. look weird, hidden underground, and yet so vital.
- Without a root system, a plant cannot survive because of no connection to the source.
- The same can be said about the life of a believer. When a believer is planted in the house of the Lord, a root system is being developed. A root system that is connected to the God Himself.
- The giant Sequoia tree is the largest and tallest tree in the world. They can reach heights of 300 feet (30 story building) and width of 30 ft. Now you would think that those giants must have a very deep root system. Their root system are actually only 4-5 feet deep.
- The secret behind the strength of this giant is not in how deep the root system is but how wide it is. Up to 150 ft from where they are planted.
- Being planted in the church does not mean that you have to be spiritually deep. Your strength is in the fact that you are simply connected to God- your source!
- Because you are connected to the source, God is developing your roots!
7 LET YOUR ROOTS GROW DOWN INTO HIM, AND LET YOUR LIVES BE BUILT ON HIM. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will OVERFLOW WITH THANKFULNESS. (Colossians 2:7 NLT)
- When you are planted, your roots will grow down into Jesus! He will be your anchor!
- “Let your lives be built on Him” – Talking about lives that are not in solitude but in community.
- The giant sequoias do not stand alone but in a community of other giants, like themselves! Their root systems are connected to one another. From one tree to another, they hold each other up!
- When you are planted in the house of God, you don’t stand alone but in a community of other believers.
- When you stand, you stand in a community of other giants.
- When you grow, you grow in a community of other giants.
- We grow in circles and not in rows – Growth as a believer does not happen in rows exclusively on Sundays.
- Growth happens in circles throughout the week through intentional feeding on the Word and through intentional connections with other believers.
POINT # 2: LEAF
“And (because you are planted) will NOT FEAR WHEN HEAT COMES; But its LEAF will be GREEN. And will not be anxious in the year of drought”.
- Because you are planted by the living waters, the heat of the enemy will not overcome you.
33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have PEACE. In the world you will have TRIBULATION (HEAT); but be of good cheer, I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD.” (John 16:33 NKJ)
POINT #3 – FRUITS
“Nor will cease from yielding fruit”
- Because you are planted, you will keep bearing fruits.
- Because you are planted by the living waters: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control will not cease (Galatians 5:22-23).
- The more you remain planted, the more evident the fruits are!
Psalm 1:3 says: “He shall be like a tree PLANTED by the rivers of water (who’s he? He who is planted), that brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
- Planted and buried!
- Bearing fruits because you are planted by the living water! Every season = fruits
- Here’s what God is telling us: The choice to be planted or buried is ours
- We cannot grow and bear fruits unless we are planted!