OPENING SCRIPTURE: John 5:1-15
- The grace of God brought wholeness to the lame man The grace of God also challenged the lame man to repent and change from his sinful ways.
- THE LOVE OF GOD WILL RECEIVE YOU AS HE FINDS YOU. BUT THE LOVE OF GOD IS TOO GOOD TO LEAVE YOU THE WAY YOU ARE
JESUS STOPS AND HE ASKS THE MAN THIS QUESTION: “DO YOU WANT TO BE MADE WELL?”
This question implies one thing: Maybe he does not want to be made well
WHY WOULD SOMEONE SAY NO TO BREAKTHROUGH
3 REASONS: EXCUSE , EFFORT, EXPERIENCE
“Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
- He’s saying: IT’S NOT MY FAULT I’M NOT HEALED. IT’S SOMEONE ELSE’S FAULT
- DON’T LET AN EXCUSE ROB YOU OF YOUR BREAKTHROUGH
- Breakthrough requires effort. You have to want it!
- This is how Jesus responded to his excuse: “Rise, take up your bed and walk!”
- BREAKTHROUGH HAPPENS WHEN WE ARE PROPERLY MOTIVATED
- He was saying Jesus, you don’t know how this works. FROM MY EXPERIENCE: “There’s this angel that comes down and stirs the water. That’s when the breakthrough happens”
- The man wanted his breakthrough based upon his past experiences
- DON’T RELIVE THE PAST EXPERIENCES WHILE EXPECTING GOD TO DO SOMETHING NEW!
MORAL OF THE STORY:
- Jesus here shows another side of grace. A SIDE OF GRACE THAT COMPELS US TO COME OUT OF THE DARKNESS AND TO LIVE FOR GOD
- DON’T MAKE EXCUSES. MAKE AN EFFORT TO EMBRACE A NEW EXPERIENCE WITH GOD- THAT’S BREAKTHOUGH!
- What is the Holy Spirit telling me through this message?