1 KINGS 19:10-13
10 He replied, “I have been very zealous for the Lord God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, torn down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too.”
11 The Lord said, “GO OUT AND STAND ON THE MOUNTAIN IN THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD, FOR THE LORD IS ABOUT TO PASS BY.”
- The instruction was simple and the expectation was set: God will pass by and Elijah will hear God speak to Him.
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, BUT THE LORD WAS NOT IN THE WIND. After the wind there was an earthquake, BUT THE LORD WAS NOT IN THE EARTHQUAKE. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, BUT THE LORD WAS NOT IN THE FIRE.
- The Lord passed by- There was a windstorm- but the Lord was not in it
- The Lord passed by – There was an earthquake- but the Lord was not in it
- The Lord passed by – There was a fire- but still the Lord was not in it
- Elijah was expecting to hear the voice of the in those “expected” circumstances- wind-earthquake-fire. He was accustomed to hearing God through the “loud” frequencies only.
“And after the fire came A GENTLE WHISPER.”
- After all the loud frequencies, the distractions- Elijah caught something- a low frequency that goes unnoticed if you are not paying attention: A GENTLE WHISPER!
- There is such a frequency: low enough to hear His whisper. What we don’t want in our Christian walk is: getting so accustomed to the “godly” distractions that we ignore God’s soft whisper or His gentle nudge.
STATEMENT: THERE ARE 3 THINGS WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GODS’ WHISPER FREQUENCY?
- IT’S INTIMATE
Inside the Tent of Meeting, the Lord would SPEAK TO MOSES FACE TO FACE, AS ONE SPEAKS TO A FRIEND. Afterward Moses would return to the camp, but the young man who assisted him, Joshua son of Nun, would remain behind in the Tent of Meeting. (Exodus 33:11 NLT)
- God desires that same level of communication with us.
- His whisper frequency is INTIMACY
- IT’S RELATIONAL
Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will SHARE A MEAL TOGETHER AS FRIENDS. (Revelation 3:20 NLT)
- God is standing and knocking. That’s how He initiates a conversation.
- His whisper frequency is RELATIONAL
- IT’S APPROCHABLE
So let us COME BOLDLY to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. (Hebrews 4:16 NLT)
- His whisper frequency is APPROACHABLE
“And after the fire came A GENTLE WHISPER.” 13 WHEN ELIJAH HEARD IT, HE PULLED HIS CLOAK OVER HIS FACE and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
- Elijah not only heard the whisper but he experienced the glory of God’s presence
- There is such a frequency: low enough to hear His whisper but also powerful enough to experience His presence.
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this message?